The ResurgenceThe Resurgence is set in 50 acres of tranquil wilderness with 5km of bush tracks. Surrounded by birds, this relaxed and friendly lodge is a perfect base for exploring the Nelson Region.
Select Boutique Lodge rooms or self-contained Bush Suites on Dinner B&B or self-contained basis. Dinner is a highlight with 4-course lodge-dining showcasing Nelson wine and produce. The Resurgence is the closest 5-star accommodation to the Abel Tasman National Park and also offers easy day trips to Golden Bay, Kahurangi National Park or Nelson art studios and wineries. Let your well-travelled hosts help you plan activities such as kayaking, birding trips to winery and art tours. This child-free, smoke free resort with pool, spa and massage therapies is accessible by road, 45 minutes from Nelson Airport. Ideal for honeymoons and for active couples who enjoy good food and nature.
Ecosystem restorationThe Resurgence is set in 50 acres of regenerating native rain forest. Since 2003 they have planted several thousand native trees which have been eco-sourced from local suppliers. They have selected species which provide food and shelter for native birds and have also reduced predator numbers (stoats, rats and possum) through an extensive and ongoing control programme. This has resulted in a very healthy bird population both in quantity and variety of species. The lodge and bush suites have been designed to both blend into the native bush and also to minimise their resource usage. Buildings are north facing with large overhanging roofs and shading so as to reduce heating and cooling needs. Local renewable timbers have been used, some sourced from their own property, with natural wool block insulation. All rooms are designed to have a natural air flow to obviate the need for air-conditioning. Recycled timbers have been used in the main lodge together with local wool carpets and fabrics. They have used local tradesmen for both the construction and ongoing preventive maintenance of the lodge and suites to support their local economy.
LocationOn-site you will find 5 km of hiking trails, a pool, hot-tub, gym and many native birds. 15 Minutes away, Abel Tasman National Park with its pristine beaches, is a playground for kayakers and hikers and nature-lovers. Centrally located in the Nelson Region, The Resurgence gives easy access for day trips to Golden Bay, Kahurangi national park and Nelson's cycling, art, wine & Hobbit trails.
How to get there
- Take SH6 then SH60 from Nelson, pass through Motueka and Riwaka.
- Stay on SH60 and just as it begins to rise, take the left turn down Riwaka Valley Road (marked with a blue LODGE sign and brown sign to Riwaka Resurgence & Kahurangi National Park).
- Their sign and driveway are about 6km further on, just after the road narrows.
- Nelson Airport 45 minutes.
Driving times to..Motueka 15 mins
Kaiteriteri 15 mins
Marahau 20 mins
Nelson 1 hr
Takaka 1 hr
Picton 3 hrs
Blenheim 2.30 hrs
Kaikoura 4.30 hrs
Christchurch 6 hrs
Hokitika 5 hrs
Fox Glacier 7 hrs
Things to do..
Day Trips in the Kahurangi National ParkA true wilderness area; home to the great spotted kiwi and to unique ecosystems that offer endless opportunities to discover an untouched world. Their favourite day walk is on mt arthur with its unique plants and stunning views. horse trek across mountain streams and visit wild places. Leave no leaf unturned on a guided trip with a local conservationist; ideal for special interests such as funghi, alpine flowers or kaast geology. Home of the renowned Heaphy Track.
Cycling & Mountain Biking in NelsonThe Great Taste Trail is a new multi-day cycleway in the Nelson region. Join any section for scenic day rides or organise a 3-4 day route with back-up from one of the local providers Pick-ups from the Lodge and guided and un-guided bike-hire options are available. Trips to Rabbit Island, Mapua and Ruby Bay coast and the Nelson wineries by bike are all popular choices.
- The Ramaka Track and the Dun Mountain tracks are challenging MTB trails and Kaiteriteri Mountain Bike Park a great network of trails of all grades.
- The 43km Dun Mountain Trail is one of New Zealand's Great Rides, and one of the most accessible back country alpine cycle trails in the country.
Day Trips to Golden Bay & Farewell SpitIsolated for many years by the infamous Takaka Hill, Golden Bay has developed as a centre for artists and alternative lifestyles - a great place to get away from it all. Stunning deserted beaches with only seals for company. Horse treks on the beach or the cliff tops. World heritage area for migratory birds at farewell spit. The purest water in the world at pupu springs. Stretch your legs on many short walks. Check out the local artists - weird & wonderful. Grab a bite to eat at the gourmet cafes.
Day Trips in the Nelson RegionA world of arts and crafts. Pick up a some local artwork at the nelson saturday market. Vist the many artists‘ studios in Nelson, Mapua, Motueka and Golden Bay or stop by the world of wearableart™ & classic cars museum for some surreal costumes.
Visit the local vineyards with their great café lunches or enjoy a seafood feast at a seafront café with a million dollar view. Join a wine appreciation or barista workshop and learn new recipes in a cooking class. Drive or cycle through the scenic Moutere hills, known as the tasman taste trail among the orchards, hops and olive groves.
Nelson is a renowned centre of wellness. Take advantage of the great therapists attracted to the area by its special energy. Book a massage at the resurgence.
Day Trips in the Abel Tasman National ParkA coastal paradise with golden bays, tranquil lagoons and crystal clear water - the ideal place to relax on deserted beaches, kayak through azure seas, stroll on leafy tracks or just to laze and dream.
- The Resurgence is 15-20 minutes drive from Kaiteriteri and Marahau, gateways to the Abel Tasman and the start of the day trips.
- Hop on a water taxi and walk from bay to bay on the beautiful Abel Tasman Coastal Track.
- Explore the many small coves by kayak stopping on white sand beaches and meeting the seals.
- Go with a guide and learn more about conservation, flora & fauna.
Lodge Room Standard
These 2 lodges are upstairs in the main Lodge building.
Lodge Room Superior
Large upstairs room in main lodge close to the pool, lounge and dining area.
Studio suites nestled in the bush with views over Kahurangi National Park.
These are stand-alone luxury suites with great views to Kahurangi National Park.
- Rates mentioned are per room per night based on 2 people sharing, unless otherwise stated.
- Rates mentioned are in NZD.
- Rates mentioned include Hotel taxes and Services charges.
- Rates mentioned include Cooked & Continental Breakfast, Aperitifs and 4 course dinner.
- A minimum stay of 2 nights is required.
Single Occupancy Rates
- Lodge Room Standard NZD 560
- Lodge Room Superior NZD 610
- Bush Chalet NZD 660
- Bush Lodge NZD 810
- The property is open from October 15th - April 15th.
- This hotel is not suitable for children under 18.
- Babies under 6 months are welcome in Bush Suites or in main Lodge for sole-use groups.
- They have a two night minimum stay, single night stays will be considered under certain conditions.
- Dinner price includes pre-dinner aperitifs & nibbles from 7pm & post-dinner coffee but excludes drinks with or after dinner.
- The set-menu dinner is served around 7:30pm.
- Advance booking is essential.
- Please advise them of any special dietary requirements when booking.
- No check-in or check-out on December 25th.
- No Christmas surcharge, however they offer a reduced room servicing on this day so that they can serve a festive dinner in the evening on both 24th & 25th.
- No deposit is required to secure your booking, they do require your valid credit card details.
- Full amount is payable upon arrival.
- They reserve the right to upgrade guests to a higher room class.
- They reserve the right to refuse any bookings without reason.
- They reserve the right to amend their Rates and Terms & Conditions (excluding existing bookings and contracted terms.)
- If you cancel 60 days prior to arrival date a 25% cancellation fee will be charged of the total booked amount.
- If you cancel 30 days prior to arrival date a 50% cancellation fee will be charged of the total booked amount.
- If you cancel 14 days prior to arrival date a 100 cancellation fee will be charged of the total booked amount.
- No refunds for early departure or for dinners cancelled with less than 24 hours notice.
Note: Most of their bookings are made 2-6 months ahead so a late cancellation will have a big impact on their small business. They will make every effort to rebook rooms but Hipboutiquehotels recommends that you have travel insurance to cover late changes of plan.
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this hotel by clicking on the "Write Review" button above.