A Private HomesteadCottar's 1920s Camp accommodates up to 16 guests in authentic spacious white canvas tents. The camp has eight tents, each with a canopied verandah and carefully arranged to ensure privacy. Each tent is luxuriously furnished with safari antiques from the 1920s, private ensuite dressing rooms/ bathrooms, showers and flush toilets. The camp is equipped with a tented library/reading room and the cuisine and silver service is of the highness standard to be found in the bush. Each tent has its own private butler.
Cottar's Private Homestead is rented only on an exclusive basis and comes with a dedicated staff of 8. The house is over 10,000 square feet in size and features a large living room, dining room, a magnificent viewing deck and 5 en-suite bedrooms. All with stunning views. The house has internet access throughout, satellite TV and DVD and is powered with electric and solar energy. A dedicated game drive vehicle(s) and guide(s) are provided to guests throughout their stay.
For the discerning guest, Cottar's Private Homestead offers complete privacy, with a secure and scolded road leading tot the house - perfect for those who want to immerse themselves in nature. A masseuse is available on a daily base.
WildlifeCottar's maintains the original safari tradition and feel of the 1920's. An authentic white 1920's style camp with no fences or manmade structures for hundreds of kilometers. The south East Mara has most of the Mara's Rhino population, so Cottar's guests see them often. There are also many lion, leopard, cheetah, elephant, buffalo, wildebeest, zebra, gazelle and other migratory wildlife. The hills are great for hill walks, where Verreaux's eagles can be seen on cliff nesting sites as well as rare Chandler's reedbuck in the moor-like hill tops.
- Cottar's 1920s Camp is certified as a Global Ecosphere Retreat.
- Cottar's 1920s Camp is Gold rated for the Kenya Eco tourism accreditation.
- Cottar's have a charitable trust called the Cottar's Wildlife Conservativaton Trust (CWCT).
- CWCT invest inked social public goods such as schooling, water supply and medical support.
- Cottar's supports a Forest Protection Program.
The Maasai MaraThe Maasai Mara in the South of Kenya is famous for its astounding variety of wildlife. White both resident and transient populations of lion, leopard, cheetah, hyena, giraffe, elephant, to name a few, as well as over 450 bird species, the vast fertile plains are dense with game.
Located in the far South Eastern part of the Mara, Cottar's 1920s Camp is the first to see the great wildebeest migration coming in and they are the last to see the herds heading back South into the Serengeti.
How to get there
- Mombassa International Airport.
- Nairobi International Airport.
- Safari Air Express (SAX).
- Cottar's private airstrip is a 10 minute drive from the camp.
- Keekorok airstrip is a 1,5 hour drive from the camp.
- Private charters into Cottar's private airstrip from anywhere, with landings and take-offs any time before 5 pm.
- Please inform about flight schedules from Mombasa, Nairobi and other airports.
Cottar's 1920s CampGuest activities at this famous Masai Mara Luxury Camp include game drives guided by professional guides in either state of the art modern four wheel drive cars, in authentic or in old wooden car. Alternatively, a tented reading room with an extensive array of African and modern books and magazines will allow those who wish to merely while away an afternoon resting and viewing the most splendid panorama.
They understand that family safaris are extremely important and they take considerable time, care and attention to ensure it will be a holiday of a lifetime. They can arrange early dinners and children's menus. Special activities for the active older children (through their Maasai Warrior school program) can also be arranged. A nanny is available on request to baby sit when you are out for meals or activities.
As the concession is outside the game parks, guided walks and night drives are allowed and highly recommended. By walking, guests can get that much closer to nature, and if an opportunity to track wild game resents itself, the trained trackers will take guests even closer still.
On a more self-indulgent note, a masseuse is now based full-time at the camp for complimentary massages, manicures and pedicures. Any other needs that guests may have will be met by butlers who have been trained to provide guests with discreet, yet attentive service.
- Day & night Game drives
- Guided Bush Walks
- Beach meal & sundowners
- Cultural visits
- Maasai Warrior School
- River swimming & fishing
- Massage & Spa treatments
- Gift shop
Weddings & BlessingsCottar's 1920's Camp can arrange beautiful weddings from small, simple ceremonies to larger 3 day event. They have four different options you can choose from.
- Cottar‟s Camp & House use electricity generated by wind,solar and generator.
- Rooms have 240v electricity when the generator is on.
- Lights run off the inverter, and therefore work 24 hours.
- Guests can recharge their camera batteries in the house,cars and the manager's office.
- Guests are recommended to bring converters & universalplug adaptors.
- Breakfast: 06h00 to 10h00
- Lunch: 12h30 to 14h30
- Dinner: 19h00 to 22h00
6 x 4x4 Vehicles
- 5 x New Land Cruisers (open sided, 5 window seats, 7 seats in total).
- 1 x wooden-bodied classic car.
some cars have charging stations. When necessary, guests may have to share their vehicle with others, unless „Exclusive Use of Vehicle‟ has been paid for.
Languages spoken at Cottar's
- Guides ~ All their guides speak English and Kiswahili, some guides are fluent in Italian and Spanish.
- Management ~ Kiswahili, English,Italian and French.
Standard luxury safari tent
Luxury safari tent with a view.
Experience your ultimate Honeymoon.
Family Tented Suites
Experience the African Safari with your family.
Cottar's Bush Villa
Romance full of pedigree and promise.
- Rates mentioned are per person per night based on 2 people sharing, unless otherwise stated.
- Rates mentioned for the Private House are per 6 persons per night based on 6 people sharing, unless otherwise stated.
- Rates mentioned are in (USD Dollar) USD.
Rates mentioned include
- Full board accommodation, water, tea & coffee.
- Taxes (25%) and VAT.
- Local drinks - soft drinks, house wines, beers & select spirits.
- Safari activities, including day/night game drives & bush walks.
- Cottar's Maasai Warrior School - Kids entertainment program.
- Cottar's private airstrip & Keekorok airstrip transfers.
- One 30 minute complimentary massage (one person only) per tent (applies to Standard, Honeymoon & Family tent).
- One 30 minute complimentary massage (one person only) per room (Private house only).
- Transfers to cultural visita & limited laundry.
Rates mentioned exclude
- Champagne, luxury wines & spirits.
- Conservancy & Park fees, USD 116 p.p.(Adult) / USD 58 p.p. (Child).
- Cultural village entry fee.
- Massage & Spa treatments.
- Exclusive use of vehicle - USD 330 per day.
- Calvin Cottar as a private guide - USD 1200 per day (arranged directly).
- The property is open all year.
- They are happy to provide private dining arrangements on request.
- They offer Massage and Spa treatments on request.
- They offer transfers on request.
- They serve a daily set menu. Please inform them about any dietary requirements or allergies prior to arrival.
- Late departures (after 12h00pm local time) USD 100 per adult & USD 80 per child.
- They accept Credit cards Visa, MasterCard, Visa debetcards.
- They reserve the right to adjust rates at any time.
- Minimum 2 night bookings at Cottar's 1920s Camp.
- Minimum 3 night bookings at Private House.
Additional Child & Single room Policy for Standard, Honeymoon & Family tent
- Children 0-5 years are free of charge.
- A child in his/her own room will be charged a single room rate.
- A child sharing between 6-17 years-> Moderate Season USD 600/Green Season USD 428/High Season USD 740.
- A child in a third bed between 6-17 years -> Moderate Season USD 400/Green Season USD 285/High Season USD 493.
- Single room rate -> Moderate Season USD960/Green Season USD 685/High Season USD 1184.
Additional Child & Single room Policy for Private House
- Children 0-5 years are free of charge.
- A child in his/her own room will be charged a single room rate.
- A child between 6-17 years -> Moderate Season USD 467/Green Season USD 311/High Season USD 592.
- Single room rate -> Moderate Season USD 571/ Green Season USD 467/ High Season USD 696.
- Green season is 16 March - 31 May.
- Low/Moderate season is 3 Jan - 15 March & 1 June - 30 June & 1 Nov - 20 Dec.
- High/Peak season is 1 July - 31 Oct & 21 Dec - 2 Jan.
- Pets are not allowed.
Guideline for tips
- All tips are at the guest's discretion. As a guideline, they recommend tips in the region of USD 5 - 20 p.p.p.n. for camp staff, with guides tipped separately (they recommend USD 25 per group per day).
- As Cottar's 1920s Camp is situated in a location higher than 4000ft altitude, it is considered malaria free.
- To guarantee the booking they require a valid credit card.
- To guarantee the booking a non-refundable deposit of 40% of the total booked amount will be charged on your credit card at the moment of the booking.
- The remaining 60% must be paid 60 days prior to arrival date.
- All cancellations must be done in writing.
- If you cancel your booking more than 60 days prior to arrival date, there will be no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 59 - 45 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 15% of the total booked amount.
- If you cancel between 44 - 30 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 25% of the total booked amount.
- If you cancel between 29 - 22 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 50% of the total booked amount.
- If you cancel within 21 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 100% of the total booked amount.
- A no show or early departure is a 100% penalty charge of the total booked amount.
- In the case of cancellation, the rooms reserved are placed back for sale and should the room be re-sold they will reimburse the cancellation charge minus a processing fee of EUR 25.
- Credit card details shall be used to cover cancellation charges for early departures and no shows.
- Cottar's 1920s Camp draws your attention to the fact that there are certain inherent risks involved in participating in safaris and that you must accept them at your own risk.
- Please take notice of Cottar's 1920s Camp's Terms & Conditions on their website, www.cottarscamp.com.