Unwind and switch offChongwe Safaris is a unique and unforgettable experience whether you stay at Chongwe River Camp, Tsika Island, Kasaka River Lodge or at the exclusive and private Chongwe River House. Home away from home - a place where you can unwind and switch off from the rest of the world.
Chongwe Safaris is one of the oldest and most reputable companies in the Lower Zambezi. Guests are afforded the unforgettable sight of elephants as they peacefully wander through the camp on an almost daily basis.
Relax! It's the only thing they insist upon at Chongwe. You can put up your feet up on their furniture without worrying what anyone is going to think.... Or curl up amongst plump cushions with a good book and not bother about appearances... They like great service and winning smiles more than dressing up for dinner.
The Lower ZambeziAt just over 4000 square kilometres, the Lower Zambezi National Park stretches in a narrow swathe from the Chongwe river in the west to the Luangwa river in the east.
Rich in biodiversity, there are a number of biomes, or eco-systems in the park, ranging from montane thickets on the slopes of the escarpment to miombo woodlands, grassy floodplains and riparian forests. Like the adjacent Chiawa Partnership Park, the Lower Zambezi National Park is home to all of the major species in the valley with excellent sightings of elephant, buffalo, lion and leopard a regular occurence. Birdlife in the area is also outstanding, making this a real hotspot for ornithologists.
How to get there
- International flights, Lusaka International Airport
- Domestic flights, Proflight from Lusaka tot the Royal Airstrip - 35 min
By Road / Boat transfer
- Driving from Lusaka to the camps can be between 4 -6 hours.
- Alternatively guests can drive to Gwabi River Lodge, approx. 2 hours' drive from Kafue roundabout and then enjoy a boat transfer taking approx. 1 - 2 hours.
- Please contact for more details.
Facilities at Location
- Laundry service
- Airport shuttle
- 24-hour security
Activities on locations
- Game Walks
- Bird watching
- Catch-and-release Fishing
- Game drives
- Full day picnic trips
- Cultural tours
- Boat cruises
- Hiking trails
Kasaka River Lodge
Canvas tents with en-suite bathrooms.
Tsika Island Camp
A private island with 3 double bush rooms.
Chongwe River Camp
Light, airy and spacious classic safari tent
Hippo Pod at Kasaka River Lodge
A private villa lodge with 2 bedrooms.
Abida Suite at Chongwe River Camp
Luxurious self-contained colonial style tented suite
Cassia Suite at Chongwe River Camp
Luxury private tented suite for 2.
Chongwe River House
A stunning private house with spectacular views
- Rates mentioned are per person per night based on 2 people sharing, unless otherwise stated.
- Single occupancy rates on request.
- Rates mentioned are in (USD dollars) USD.
- Rates mentioned include hotel taxes.
- Rates mentioned exclude Park fees, Community Development Levy (CDL).
- Rates mentioned include all meals.
- Rates mentioned include transfers to and from Royal Airstrip.
- Rates mentioned include local inter-camps transfers.
- Rates mentioned include standard bar drinks and house wines.
- Rates mentioned include laundry.
- Rates mentioned are indicative rates and are subject to change without prior notice.
- Activities include in the rates mentioned -> game drives day/night, canoeing, walking safaris, boat cruises, fishing and cultural visits.
- Hippo Pod is based on a minimum night cost is 4x adult rates. Additional children at discounted rates.
- Chongwe River House is based on a minimum 4x adult rates. Additional children at discounted rates.
- All locations are on request.
- All locations accepts credit cards.
- Kasaka River Lodge is open all year round (excluding February)
- Chongwe River Camp, Albida Suite, Cassia Suite, Chongwe River House, Tsika Island Camp are open from 1st April until 15th November.
- Safari season is from 1st July until 31st October.
- Secret Season is from 1st November until 30th June.
- Children age 7 and above are welcome in the main camp. Younger children may be considered upon request for private safari at Hippo Pod, Albida or Cassia Suite & Chongwe River House.
- Chongwe does not provide babysitting facilities and parents are expected to supervise at all times.
- No child rates at Chongwe River Camp & Tsika Island.
- Child rates apply 40% off the standard rate in Classic Tents.
- Children sharing with 2 full paying adults receive 50% off the adult rate at Chongwe River Camp & Tsika Island.
- Pets are not allowed.
- To guarantee the booking a 25% deposit of the total booked amount is required.
- Full payment is due 30 days prior to arrival date.
- The deposit is non refundable in Safari Season
- If you cancel or modify more than 120 days prior to arrival date, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel or modify between 120 - 91 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 25% over the total booked amount.
- If you cancel or modify between 90 - 61 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 50% over the total booked amount.
- If you cancel or modify bewteen 60 - 0 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 100% over the total booked amount.
- In case of a no show they will charge a 100% penalty fee.
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this hotel by clicking on the "Write Review" button above.