5 Camps in South LuangwaThey operate 5 camps in South Luangwa including Luwi, Nsolo, Kakuli and Mchenja bush camps, and opened in June 2013 their newest camp; 'wildly luxurious' Chinzombo.
Kakuli Bush CampA tented camp with spectacular views on the banks of the Luangwa River. The only true bush camp open for the green season. This beautiful camp has four traditional walk-in safari tents each with en-suite bathrooms. A lovely chitenje acts as the centre of the camp. It is on a wooden deck overlooking the grazing lawn that leads down to the two rivers. This area of the park is renowned for offering guests some of the best game viewing opportunities.
Luwi CampNestled in the shade of huge mahogany tree, Luwi Camp is close to a permanent Hippo and Croc filled lagoon. It is situated deep in the heart of the National Park, on the dynamic seasonal Luwi River after which it is named. The area is extremely remote with no other camps or people far many miles around. The perfect location for walking safaris. The Luwi area is also famous for its lions and the thrill of tracking them on foot is an experience not to be missed.
Mchenja Bush CampMchenja, meaning 'ebony', occupies a stunning setting beneath a magnificent grove of ebony trees on the banks of the Luangwa River. Mchenja is a luxurious, elegant and stylish tented camp overlooking a huge sweeping bend in the Luangwa. Guests staying at Mchenja can choose whether they want to view their wildlife on foot or from an open game viewing vehicle.
Nsolo CampNsolo is one of the more historic camps in Zambia. This is one of the South Luangwa's more remote, luxury safari camps with many wonderful walking areas in the vicinity. The Luwi river system is renowned for its lion population.
Chinzombo Bush CampWildly luxurious, designed by award wining architects, Chinzombo brings levels of comfort, style and elegance previously unseen to the Luangwa Valley. The views from its riverside location which teems with wildlife, plus the private, direct access into one of the most game rich areas of the `National Park all combine to make this a truly special place.
Norman Carr believed in..
- "SAFARI WAKALE" - Safari the traditional way
- Sharing and preserving the unique wilderness of the Luangwa Valley
- Offering authentic safari experiences
- Providing the highest standards of service
- Commitment to the welfare and development of their community
- Recognising and developing the potential in people
- Promoting Zambia as a destination for international visitors
South Luangwa National ParkThe Luangwa River is the most intact major river system in Africa and is the life-blood of this 9059 km2 Park. The Park hosts a wide variety of wildlife, birds and vegetation. The now famous ‘walking safari’ originated in this Park and is still one of the finest ways to experience Africa’s pristine wilderness first-hand. The changing seasons add to the Park’s richness, ranging from; dry, bare bushveld in the winter, to a lush, green wonderland in the summer months.
There are 60 different animal species and over 400 different bird species in South Luangwa National Park. The only notable exception is the rhino, sadly poached to extinction.
How to get there..
- Lusaka Airport - international flights
- Mfuwe Airport, Proflight Zambia - domestic flights
- Mfuwe Airport Ulendo Airlink from Malawi
- You can approach from 3 directions. The usual route is from Chipata. This is a good road if a little corrugated and the 123km drive takes about two hours to Mfuwe, just outside the Park. If travelling in a robust 4x4 from Lusaka, it is possible to take a short cut from the Great East Road at Petauke, up alongside the Luangwa River to Mfuwe. Only to be attempted well into the dry season. A good overnight stop along the way is at the Luangwa River Bridge at Bridge Camp.
- The Northern access is from Mpika on the Great North Road or Lundazi, near Zambia’s eastern border with Malawi. Just below Mpika, there is a road running down the Munyamadzi Corridor between North and South Luangwa Parks. It is passable but is only open between August and October and only in 4WD and preferably with two vehicles as help is a long way away. The mountain pass down the escarpment is quite formidable, very rocky and bumpy but the view over this, the tail end of the Great Rift Valley, is quite spectacular.
Facilities at location
- Plunge pool at Mchenja
- Private pool at Chinzombo
- Private outside lounge area with fire pit at Chinzombo
- In-room spa treatments at Chinzombo
- Board games at Kapani Lodge
- Gift shop at Chinzombo
- Free Laundry service
- Airport transfers
- 24-hour security
Activities at location
- Game viewing
- Game Walks
- Boating (secret season only)
- Bird watching
- Game drives
- Full day picnic trips
- Cultural tours
- Game Drives
- Boat cruises (secret season only)
- Walking safaris
Telephone/InternetThere is cell phone coverage at Chinzombo but not at the remote bush camps.
ElectricityThe electric supply at Kapani and Chinzombo is fairly reliable, and 3-pin UK sockets are provided, along with overhead fans, evening breeze cooling system, a minibar fridge, hairdryer, kettle and coffee-making facilities. At the bush camps, the electric supply is solar powered and depends on the electricity generated during the day. However, mobile phone and camera chargers can usually be charged for you during the day.
LaundryTheir laundry service is free and available at all camps. Items are usually returned washed and pressed on the same day. Please let the camp staff know if your clothes have any special laundering instructions.
SwimmingThere is a plunge pool at Mchenja and Chinzombo will offer guests private plunge pools connected to all 6 villas as well as a larger pool in the main area.
BooksEach camp has a selection of reference books to which you may refer to investigate the day’s sightings or to find out more about the history and geography of the area.
Kakuli Bush Camp
Tented camp with spectacular views on the banks of the Luangwa River
Luwi Bush Camp
The best little bush camp in Africa and famous for its lions.
Mchenja Bush Camp
A luxurious and romantic bush camp set in a grove of magnificent ebony trees.
Nsolo Bush Camp
Chalets with verandahs overlooking the bush and waterholes in Luwi River
Chinzombo 2-bedroom Family Villa
Luxurious but with bush feeling family villa at the riverside.
Chinzombo luxurious Bush Villas
Villas with private pool and massive bathroom offer peace and tranquility.
- Rates mentioned are per person per night based on 2 people sharing, unless otherwise stated.
- Single traveler rates are on request.
- Rates mentioned are in (USD dollar) USD.
- Rates mentioned include hotel taxes.
- Rates mentioned exclude Park fees
- Rates mentioned include all meals.
- Rates mentioned include transfers.
- Rates mentioned include local inter-camps transfers.
- Rates mentioned include standard bar drinks and house wines.
- Rates mentioned exclude top shelf spirits, premium wine and champagne.
Rates mentioned include laundry.
- Rates mentioned include two game viewing activities per day.
- Rates mentioned are indicative rates and are subject to change without prior notice.
- This property does accept credit cards.
- Kakuli Bush Camp is open from 20 Jan until 4 April and 18 May until 7 Nov.
- Luwi Bush Camp is open from 18 May until 31 Oct.
- Mchenja Bush Camp open 18 May until 7 Nov.
- Nsolo Bush Camp open from 18 May until 31 Oct.
- Chinzombo Bush Camp open from 1 Jan until 31 Dec.
- Safari season is from 1 June till 31 October.
- Secret season is from 1 Nov till 31 May.
- Child Policy
- Children are welcome at Chinzombo - minimum age by prior agreement.
- Children age 8 and above are welcome in Kakuli and Mchenja.
- Children age 12 and above are welcome in Luwi and Nsolo.
- Parents are expected to supervise at all times.
- Child discount at Chinzombo 50% off if sharing with 2 adults.
- Child discounts at other camps on request.
- Minimum age for walking safaris is 12 years and at the guides discretion.
- Pets are not allowed.
- To guarantee the booking a 25% deposit of the total booked amount is required.
- Bookings must be confirmed within 30 days prior to arrival date.
- Full payment is due 30 days prior to arrival date.
- The deposit is non refundable in Safari season.
- If you cancel or modify more than 120 days prior to arrival date, there is no cancellation fee charged.
- If you cancel or modify 120 - 91 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 25% over the total booked amount.
- If you cancel or modify 90 - 61 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 50% over the total booked amount.
- If you cancel or modify 60 - 31 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 75% over the total booked amount.
- If you cancel or modify 30 - 0 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a 100% cancellation fee over the total booked amount.
- In case of a no show they will charge a 100% penalty.
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this hotel by clicking on the "Write Review" button above.