Where Paradise meets Adventure…Butterfly House is a luxury eco-resort in Bahia, Brazil, 250 km south of Salvador. Boasting eight beautifully appointed villas, a palm-enshrouded swimming pool, gastronomic restaurant, family playroom and acres of tropical gardens sprinkled with hammocks and bamboo recliners, it is the ultimate refuge for travelers seeking luxury and adventure.
Nature...Located on the Maraú Peninsula, Butterfly House benefits from pristine white-sand beaches, multicolored coral reefs and a gentle ever-present ocean breeze. Freshwater lakes, World Heritage listed rain-forests and local indigenous tribes are just a few to the other local attractions.
The whole area is part of a protected conservation area, which means zero development, no high-rise buildings - just milion miles of untouched natural beauty.
Fifteen kilometers from the nearest village (Barra Grande), Butterfly House benefits from being splendidly remote. From the moment you arrive, you are completely immersed in nature. Everything from the grass-thatched roofs down to the ethically-sourced bathroom products is designed with the environment in mind - and with virtually no carbon footprint, Butterfly House is a shining example of eco-luxury in South America.
Sustainability matters…Butterfly House's impressive eco-credentials stem from its diligent owner, Chloe Gibbs, a passionate environmentalist. "During building, every precaution was taken not to disturb the local environment; nothing was harmed in any way. That’s why it took ten years to build…”
And today, strict measures are in place to ensure the lodge doesn’t pollute the area. Organic waste is composted, non-organic matter is separated and treated before being sent for recycling and the resort’s sewer system is designed to produce eco-friendly biofertiliser. But don’t worry, it’s not bucket showers. Plenty of hot water is provided by solar heating via a state-of-the-art ‘plate and boiler’ system.
LocationThis remote sliver of land off the coast of Bahia in north-east Brazil is difficult to reach, even for Brazilians. If feels as far from the hurly burly of Rio and Sao Paulo as it's possible to be.
Sandwiched between the Atlantic Ocean and Camamu Bay, this wild and beautiful place is flanked by deserted palm-lined beaches and dotted with diminutive islands, a handful of fishing villages and patches of Atlantic Forest.
How to get there
- Airport Jorge Amado 160 km
- Bus station Marau 30 km
On land, the jungle surrounding the lodge teems with exotic wildlife (marmosets, anteaters and armadillos are common sightings) and rare species of plants are in abundance. Dozens of nature trails start from the lodge and experts are on hand 24/7 to explain all there is to know about the region's diverse flora and fauna. Should you wish to hire a guide, take a tour or try your hand at surfing? Butterfly House will be more than happy to arrange it - although you may be forced to discuss options over an ice-cold Cerveja!
At the hotelAt the heart of Butterfly House lies its lively restaurant, Anna Banana. Part experimental kitchen, part Brazilian living room, it is very much the hub of the resort. Guests can enjoy sharing platters of aromatic delicacies conjured by the lodge’s highly creative Brazilian chef, Elias Feitosa, or opt for an a la carte experience.
They also have
- Outdoor pool
- Bar and restaurant (á la carte)
- Private beach
- Table tennis
- Game room
- Beaches / surfing
- Paddle boarding
- Snorkling / diving
- Boat trips
- Whale watching
- Tremembé Waterfall
- Island hopping
- Nature trails
- Bike riding
Sleep with the sounds of the waves.
Perfect for a honeymoon.
Enjoy the amazing view.
Perfect place to relax and enjoy.
Share with a friend.
Wake up to the sounds of the birds.
Enjoy dappled moon light.
A natural elegance predominates.
- Rates mentioned are per room per night based on 2 people sharing, unless otherwise stated.
- Rates mentioned are in Brazilian Real (BRL).
- Rates mentioned include breakfast.
- Rates mentioned exclude taxes and service charges.
- Rates mentioned are starting prices and are subject to change without prior notice.
- Possibility of private hire of the whole hotel, prices on request.
- This hotel is on request.
- They accept bookings with a minimum stay of 2 nights.
Extra Bed Policy
- Additional bed / cot + 30% of the room rate.
- Children under 5 years share the room with their parents for free.
- Children from 5 years and older, are considered adult for calculations of daily rates.
- Pets are not allowed.
- Low Season is from April - July.
- High Season is from August - May.
- Reveillon is from 28th of December - 4th of January.
- Semana Santa is in April.
- To guarantee the booking a valid credit card is required.
- A deposit of 100% is needed 10 days prior to arrival date during Carnival Period & New Years Eve.
- Deposits are non-refundable.
- All cancellation requests must be send per email.
- If you cancel or modify the booking over 30 days prior to arrival date, they charge a cancellation fee of 10% of the deposit.
- If you cancel between 30-15 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 50% of the total booked amount including taxes.
- If you cancel between 14-0 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 100% of the total booked amount including taxes.
- A no-show or early departure is a penalty fee of 100% of the total booked amount including taxes.
- Early check-out is subject to availability.
A Jungle retreat
The Butterfly House is an extraordinary jungle retreat! It's a small luxury boutique beach hotel in the Peninsula of Maraú, Bahia. We stayed in one of their 3 suites, they also have 5 bungalows all individually designed with an eclectic mix of Moroccan, French and Brazilian touches, it felt so good. They also have a great bar, an amazing restaurant, lovely pool, excellent service and miles of deserted beach on your doorstep. It is not always easy to get to and you really need a 4x4 to negotiate the dirt/sand tracks of Maraú. Easiest option is to leave your car and arrange a transfer from Itacaré or Ilheus airport with the pousada.