A contemporary architectural treasureThis is a restored nineteenth century Ottoman distillery. "Sumahan on the Water" is a rare example of thoughtful, historical transformation in Istanbul. "Suma" is the word for unadulterated spirit.
The hotel was the industrial factory that distilled the high proof ingredient for 'Raki' the famous Ottoman tipple. "Han" was the word for Inn in Ottoman times. Sumahan is among the city's most enduring design phenomena, a hotel that integrates high quality design and respect for the sites historical context. In essence the "Sumahan on the Water" experience is about modern comfort in a historic as well spectacular setting with friendly and personal service.
The way Istanbul was meant to be seen... rooms with panoramic Bosphorus views..
The properties of light and water, different at every time of day and in every season provide the instant attraction of staying at Sumahan Hotel in Istanbul. There is a choice of accommodation from a total of 24 unique suites and rooms, each with its own personality, most with fireplaces, but all with magnificent views. The twin level suites have their own Bosphorus-side garden.
The hotel is owned and was designed by the prominent Istanbul architects Mark and Nedret Butler with interiors by interior designer Yasha Butler. This family team of designers has grasped this unique opportunity, to turn the nineteenth century industrial complex into a special luxury hotel. It has been converted so that much of the original style of the factory retained with a contemporary luxury design - hence a perfect blend of the past with innovations of the present.
After a busy day sight-seeing or on business in Istanbul, you will appreciate to sit back and relax having a refreshment on the waterfront lawn or restaurant and watch the city lights and Bosphorus activities. The hotel's Launch is "on call" for personalized service across the Bosphorus from the hotel - year round The Launch is also available for private excursions along the Asian and European shores of the Bosphorus.
This distinctive Hotel is parallel to its magnificent views of the Bosphorus. It is a contemporary architectural treasure, a heaven for escape and a link to Turkish culture.
Bosphorus East meets WestSumahan on the Water is situated on the waterfront of the Bosphorus strait in Istanbul, which divides Asian and European Istanbul. The hotel can be reached by sea or by road, with only a fifteen-minute ride by boat to downtown Istanbul the hotel offers the splendor of an intimate and elegant hotel without the hassle of the inner city.
Sumahan on the Water is on the Bosphorus waterfront in Cengelkoy, north-east of the Bosphorus Bridge on the Asian side of the Strait.How to get there
- Istanbul Ataturk International Airport - 35 km.
- Sabiha Gökcen International Airport 35 km.
From the Airport
- You can pre-book a taxi through the hotel or take a cab on arrival.
- Ataturk Airport is 40 min (though allow longer during Istanbul's manic morning and evening rush-hours).
- Sabiha Gökcen is also 40 min.
From the City Centre
- By taxi.
- By underground tram the Funicular from Taksim Square to Kabatas.
- By the Hotel's own water shuttle from Kabatas across the Strait.
- By Ferry from Eminonu, close to Sultanahmet, to Cengelkoy.
Kuleli Caddesi 43
Things to do at the hotel
- Restaurant Tapastma
- Waterfront Cafe
- Boat transfers across the Strait
- Meeting facilities
- 24 hrs room service
- Daily turndown services
- Laundry & Dry clean (Mon-Sat)
- Airport transfers on request
- Car rental
- Sightseeing City tour
Things to do nearby
- Mihrimah Sultan Mosque
- Maiden's Tower
- Beylerbeyi Palace
LibraryThe Library in the lounge near the reception desk and has 800 books all with a Turkish focus. Here you can browse the Library while waiting in the lounge, but you may also enjoy the books anywhere else in the Hotel. Happy reading.
Boat tripThe Hotel offers a scheduled complimentary boat transfer across the Bosphorus with Sumahan I, the charming boat of Sumahan on the Water. They can also arrange a private tour with Sumahan I for guests who are keen to explore Istanbul on water.
MeetingsSumahan on the Water provides businesses privacy in the heart of Istanbul. Istanbul's leading business are discovering the secluded and scenic atmosphere of Sumahan's conference facilities as a convenient place to get ideas flowing and quietly get the job done. The meeting room, overlooking the Bosphorus is locaed on the main floor and comfortably accomodates up to 35 people.
WellnessThe Sumahan wellness strategy is to make you feel that much better when you leave them than before you arrived. You can relax at Sumahan's own private Turkish Hamman, unwind with a variety of specialized massage of your choice. The hotel also has a well-lit fitness room with state of art equipment.
Restaurant TapasumaTapasuma is the newest addition to Sumahan on the Water. Top restaurant Tapasuma offers a twist on contemporary Turkish and Mediterranean cuisine with 'fezzes' and a unique dining experience with a view no where else to be found.
Waterfront CaféWaterfront Café is a causal-chic bistro/café in Cengelköy that starts the day off with a rich open breakfast buffet.
- Rates mentioned are per room per night based on 2 people sharing, unless otherwise stated.
- Rates mentioned are in (EURO) EUR.
- Rates mentioned include VAT/Tax, city taxes and service charges.
- Rates mentioned include breakfast.
- Rates mentioned include credit card charges.
- This property is open all year round.
- This hotel is on request.
- This hotel requires payment by credit card.
- This hotel accept Visa, MasterCard, Amex, Diners Club.
- Low season is in November, February & March.
- High season is in April, May, June, July, August, September & October.
- Promotional season is in December & January.
- Christmas/New Year Season is from 27th Dec until 2nd January.
- Children of all ages are welcome.
Extra Bed Policy
- Extra bed EUR 100 per room per night incl. breakfast.
- Pets are not allowed
- To guarantee the booking a deposit is required.
- If you cancel or modify up to 2 days (48 hours) prior to arrival date, there will be no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 2 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a 100 % cancellation fee of the total booked amount.
- If you cancel on day of arrival, they will charge a 100% cancellation fee of the total booked amount.
- A no show or early departure is a penalty charge of 100% of the total booked amount.
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this hotel by clicking on the "Write Review" button above.