A boutique hideawayMontpelier Plantation & Beach is a boutique hideaway in the heart of the Caribbean on the tiny island of Nevis, a former British Colony steeped in history and know for its vibrant natural beauty. A colorful colonial heritage - with rugged cobblestone and intricate antique accents - is intertwined with a classic contemporary motif characterized by modern artwork and sleek furnishings.
Situated on 60 acres amidst lush tropical hills at the base of the majestic Nevis Peak, Montpelier offers the ideal place to unwind and disconnect from today's frenetic pace. Originally constructed as a sugar mill in the 18th century, the property is situated six miles from its own private beach - 750 feet above the vibrant Caribbean Sea.
The property is owned and operated by the gracious Hoffman family, who acquired it in 2002, adding the 19 villa suites and completing renovations to the reception area, great room and terraces as well as upgrades to all rooms.
Eco-friendlyFruits and vegetables are predominantly supplied by local farmers. The hotel chooses producers who are using organic methods and sustainable agricultural practices. Montpelier's policy is to support the local community, and to provide its guests with high quality products.
Montpelier growing its own organic herbs (mint, basil, oregano, thyme etc) and its future aim is to create its permaculture garden with many kids of products.
Restaurant remains are saved and collected by the local farmers to feed their animals. The hotel use paper products with a high recycled content and recycle a large portion of printed material. For the laundry they use organic detergents (Ecolab) and water saving methods (rain water). The hotel has two cisterns for collecting the rainwater for use in the laundry and the gardens.
The hotel has a automatic lighting system to save energy during the day. To avoid the usage of small plastic bottles and reduce wasteful packaging, Montpelier uses dispenser style bottles for bath products in the rooms and for other consumables. For the amenities in hotel rooms, Montpelier's choice is Gilchrist & Soames, BeeKind Collection. A portion of the net profits of this product supports honey bee and sustainable pollination research.
NevisWith a rich plantation heritage, Nevis was colonized by the British in 1628 and is one of the remaining islands still evoking the mystique of the "Old Caribbean". Nevis was part of the British Colonies until 1967, when it attained associated statehood along with St. Kitts. In 1983 it became part of an independent nation in the Leeward Islands.
Montpelier dates back to 1687 when Sir Hans Sloane, secretary of the Royal Society of England, discovered the secluded location. In 1787, this historic former sugar plantation was the setting for the marriage of Lord Horatio Nelson and Frances "Fanny" Lisbet - and more than 200 years later, it remains an ideal location for weddings and honeymoons. Many remains formats early days are still evident including the massive sugar mill, which was in use until 1933, now the popular Mill Privée restaurant. In 1960 James Milnes-Gaskell purchased the estate - then in ruins - and proceeded to renovate it into a hotel. Now its owned by the Hoffman family.
Nevis offers an abundance of local, cultural and historical activities. Situated in an old Caribbean Georgian stone building, the Museum of Nevis History is located in the capital Charlestown, as is Fort Charles, a 17th century British military base. The Bath Hotel, built in 1778, is considered to be the first hotel in the Caribbean. Located just a few steps away from Montpelier, the Botanical Garden of Nevis is renowned for the beauty and diversity of its many tropical plants and flowers.
How to get there
- Robert L. Bradshaw International Airport - St. Kitts
- St. Kitts to Nevis
St. Kitts and Nevis
FacilitiesMontpelier offers the ideal balance between active and relaxing. Unlike many Caribbean islands, Nevis has something to offer everyone. Swim in the clear blue water, explore the rainforest, climb Nevis Peak, chase monkeys, discover ruins of old plantations, cycle round the island or just drink a rum punch and unwind at the beach.. At Montpelier Plantation you live fully.
ExploreBy a car or a bike, it is easy to explore the island. Follow the monkeys in the green landscapes, visit the villages with the Georgian colonial houses and the numerous parish churches. Discover vast sandy beaches and swim in the warm Caribbean Sea. With sailing adventures, deep sea fishing, scuba diving, there are endless options available to challenge the most adventuresome person or to keep the family holiday fun and exciting.
RelaxThe Open Spa offers a range of treatments for you to unwind and be pampered. Choose a hot stone massage or a salt glow, and be transported to a place of utter tranquility. Revitalize your mind, body and spirit with private yoga, Pilates and meditation. At Montpelier you will feel rejuvenated.
YogaBring renewed vitality to your life with yoga. Feel the positive energy from the natural sunlight, the lush tropical vegetation, and the panoramic views of the sea. Enjoy the serenity and choose the perfect location within the hotel grounds, for your meditation or yoga session. Yoga classes are available upon request.
CuisineThe Montpelier cuisine offers a blend of French and Caribbean cuisine with emphasis on fresh, innovative food. The kitchen focuses on the quality of the ingredients and makes a conscientious effort to use organic products whenever possible. To fully complement your meal at Montpelier you will find a well stocked cellar with exceptional wines and aged rums.
EventsStylish elegance is the essential feature of events at Montpelier Plantation and Beach. It is a unique mix of pure luxury and wild unspoiled Caribbean life. Celebrate your wedding or special occasion in the beauty of the Caribbean, with charm and splendor. Events can be hosted at our secluded beach or the hotel, both of which ensure panoramic views and privacy. At Montpelier you will experience moments that will leave you with memories that will last forever.
Facilities at the hotel
- 3 Restaurants
- 3 Bars
- Rum tasting
- Spa facilities
- Swimming pool outside 60 ft
- Tennis court & Croquet lane
- Yoga classes upon request
- Business Centre
- Games / TV room / Library
- Laundry service
- Room service
- Picnic service
- Beach shuttle
- Free car park
- Private beach dotted with gazebos, lounge chairs and a pavilion for BBQ lunches
- Massages at the beach
- Deep sea fishing
- Scuba diving
- Horseback riding
- Nature walks
- Mountain treks
- Boat trips
- Day trips to St. Barth or St. Kitts
Inviting you to savor the delights of a slower island way of life.
Savor the calm space as you unwind overlooking the ocean.
Spacious split level suite with fresh comtemporary touches.
Live your dream in a 100-year-old building with charm and modern touches.
Tamarind Villa in a comtemporary style is discreetly set on the plantation.
- Rates mentioned are per room per night based on 2 people sharing, unless otherwise stated.
- Rates mentioned are in US Dollars (USD).
- Credit card charges 5%.
- Rates mentioned exclude Hotel taxes (10%), Service charges (12%)and City taxes (2%) p.p.p.n.
- Rates mentioned include breakfast.
- Rates mentioned include Wi-Fi.
- Rates mentioned are indicative rates and are subject to change without prior notice.
Single Rate Policy
- On B&B basis - plus USD 25 per day.
- On MAP (Half Board) basis – plus USD 105 per day.
- No single rates during Festive season.
Extra Bed Policy
- Extra bed adult costs USD 75 p.p.p.n. breakfast included.
- Extra bed child age 5 years and older costs USD 75 p.p.p.n. breakfast included.
- Children from 5 years and older are welcome.
- This property is On Request.
- This property is closed from 12th August to 10th October.
- Half board is available, rates are on request.
- Minimum stay during Festive Period is 7 nights.
- Credit cards accepted: MasterCard / Visa / American Express.
- Low season April 1st - December 19th.
- High season December 20th - March 31st.
- Christmas/New Year 26th December - 10th January.
- Pets are not allowed.
- To guarantee the booking a valid credit card is required.
- To guarantee the booking a deposit of 50% is required at time of booking.
- If you cancel the booking 30 days before midday (Island time) prior to arrival date, there will be no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel the booking 30 days after midday (Island time) prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 100% of the total booked amount.
- A no show or early departure is a 100% penalty charge of the total booked amount.
- Refunds of the deposits is subject to 10% bank charges
- A 50% deposit is required at time of the booking.
- The final balance is due by 1st of June.
- All payments are non-refundable.
- Bookings made after the 1st June require a 100% deposit.
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this hotel by clicking on the "Write Review" button above.