Just Wildlife..Self-catering chalets each elegantly decorated and furnished in neutral African colors making them a restful and relaxing space. Airy rooms, opening downstairs onto wooden viewing decks, where you will find the wildlife almost close enough to touch.
Wildlife roaming the reserve includes Nyala, Kudu, Waterbuck, Zebra, Giraffe, Eland, Blue Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Blesbok, Impala, Grey Duiker, Serval, Caracal, Genet, Black Backed Jackal, Warthog and an abundance of birdlife.
Their Non Hunting Policy allows for fantastic close sightings on foot. A favorite spot is the main deck perched over one of their dams, where the shy marsh terrapins sun themselves on the bank to the chatter of Red Bishops among the reeds and the larger mammals from the tallest giraffe to the diminutive baby warthogs gather to drink.
Their river Boma situated at the confluence of the Karkloof and Umgeni Rivers where the otters play and often the call of the African Fish is heard overhead. From their fishing jetty's the avid fisherman will spend hours fighting Carp and other local fish species. Perfect for kayaking, and the more adventurous can paddle through several sets of rapids directly into Albert Falls Dam.
Trails transverse the reserve, so for the more energetic an ideal place for hiking, trail running and cycling. Their Capture Unit still retains the unique features of a time gone by when Buffalo's and Rhino's where kept there.
The staff fondly refer to it as the crèche as a popular birthing site for the Nyala and Impala antelope. Evenings are spent relaxing at your Chalet braaing, or standing over a potjie pot sipping cocktails whilst the African sun sinks behind the mountains.....
Eco-friendlyThey utilize solar energy for pumping water from the borehole, for heating of the water, all building materials are locally sourced.
South Africa's Zulu Kingdom KwaZulu-NatalUkuthula Lodge is situated in the province of KwaZulu-Natal. KwaZulu-Natal is South Africa’s domestic tourism leader, highly popular among visitors from throughout continental Africa and increasingly on the "must-see, must- do" lists of discerning travellers. These travellers from all points of the globe seek and find a unique blend of sophistication, cultural diversity and excitement – in the most breathtaking setting imaginable.
How to get there
- Johannesburg International Airport (JNB) - 442km
- Durban International Airport (DUR) - 68 km
- Rent a car at the airport and drive to Ukuthula Lodge
Otto's Bluff Road
African SalonPamper yourself at Ukuthula Lodge, book into The Africa Salon for a relaxing manicure, pedicure or massage.
MealsThe Lodge has 6 self-catering chalets or meals can be selected from their wholesome farm menu and enjoyed in the privacy of your chalets, at the one of the viewing decks or in the farmhouse dining room. They provide delicious picnic baskets and barbeques. They are very flexibile so just let them know and they endeavour to accommodate your requests.
Capture Café Menu
Breakfast (served with Coffee or Tea)
- Continental Health Breakfast
- English Breakfast
- Assorted homebaked muffins
- Durban curry and rice
- Lasagne with Garden salad
- Smoked Chicken Salad
- Hearty Farmhouse soup served with homemade bread
- Malva pudding with cream or ice-cream
- Eton Mess (Meringue with cream or ice-cream and berry reduction)
- Ice cream with Bar One sauce
- Assorted cheese platter
Other Lodge Facilities
- Gym, sauna and African salon
- Game drives (Pre booking essential)
- Fishing activities in the local river
- Bird watching
- Clay pigeon Shooting and Paintball (Pre booking essential)
- Canoes for paddling the concourse or a longer trip through several sets of rapids directly into Albert Falls Dam (pre booking essential)
- Cycling (if you use Ukuthula bicycles then pre booking essential)
- Karnloof Canopy tours
- Lion Park and Zoological Gardens - Ashburton
- Epic Go Karting
- Phezulu Crocodile Farm and Snake Park
- African Birds of Prey Sanctuary
- Cultural and historical experiences
- Pietermaritzburg and Durban Botanical Gardens
- Scottsville Racecourse
- Beaches - 80 km
- Scuba diving, Snorkeling, Surfing, Whale watching and Fishing - east coast
- Golf courses
Villas no. 1 & 2
Overlooking a watering hole .....
Rates : on request
Villas no. 3, 4, 5 & 6
Overlooking Albert Falls Dam.
Rates : on request
- Rates mentioned are per chalet per night based on 4 people sharing, unless otherwise stated.
- Rates mentioned are in (South African Rand) ZAR.
- Single rates and are the same as the mentioned double rates.
- Rates mentioned exclude breakfast.
- Rates mentioned include hotel taxes.
- Rates mentioned exclude service charges, city taxes and 1% tourism tax.
- Rates mentioned include Wi-Fi.
- Rates mentioned are indicative rates and are subject to change without prior notice.
- Payment by credit card with no credit card charges are (MasterCard, Visa).
- Breakfast is 55 ZAR pp/pn.
- Half board possible rates on request.
- This property is on request.
- This property welcomes children from all ages.
- Children rate is the same as adult rate.
- The team of Ukuthula lodge is flexible about the Check in and Departure times.
- Pets are allowed on request and at guests own risk.
- To guarantee the booking a valid credit card is required.
- To guarantee the booking a refundable deposit of 30% of the total booked amount is required.
- The deposit is refundable less 5% admin charges up to 30 days before arrival.
- If you cancel more than 31 days prior to arrival date, they will not charge a cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 30 - 0 days prior to the arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 100% over the total booked amount.
- A no-show or early departure is a penalty fee of 100% of the total booked amount.
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this hotel by clicking on the "Write Review" button above.