A little Gem in the Tangalle area..
Maya Villa is an exquisitely restored 19th century Manor House. A luxury 5 suite Villa perfect for couples, families and honeymooners in a quiet and enchanting location with 2 acre garden with trees as old as the house.
Just step back in time and experience the magic of a 19th century Sri Lankan Manor House. Built by one of the ruling elite in Ceylon, Aranwella Walauwa is a classic illustration of 19th century properties - a little gem in the Tangalle area. Drawing on influences from Dutch and British colonial architecture, Aranwella Walauwa’s restitution provides a glimpse into history. Seamlessly blending Sri Lankan heritage with contemporary design, the atmospheric five suite villa pays homage to its original features - a simple harmony of modern luxe with local charm and style.
Maya (or Illusion in Sanskrit) is the creation of interior designer Niki Fairchild. She first stumbled upon the old Walauwa in 2004 and was instantly enchanted. Together with distinguished Sri Lankan architect Pradeep Kodikara, Niki renovated and brought back to life this heritage home. The stunning result blends period features with unique style: enhanced space, sky-high ceilings, open views, sleek lines and supremely comfortable living.
Eco-friendlyThey use solar power for water heater, air conditioners are only used at night and they wash the bed sheets and towels after 2 days if agreed by their guests.
AranwellaMaya is situated in the quaint village of Aranwella next to the ancient village Buddhist temple, only 8 km from Tangle, and just 10 km from the beautiful beaches of the southern coast. The journey from the International airport will take about 3 hrs to 3 and half hours from Colombo.
Good to know is that Cinnamon Air sea planes fly several times a week to Dikwella - the flying time is only 35 minutes and from there it's a 20 minute drive to Maya.
For details please go to www.cinnamonair.com.
Maya is an hour and half from Galle - a Unesco World Heritage site and a great place to stop and enjoy the Fort on you way down. Maya is an hour and half from the southern port city of Hambantota - where Sri Lanka's newest cricket ground is located.
Maya is also only 1 and half hours from Uda Walawe National park and 2 hours from Yala National park where you can experience Sri Lanka's amazing wildlife.
What to expect..They prepare a daily 3 course set menu for lunch and dinner with several options. The chef will purchase the freshest ingredients on a daily basis. They can prepare menus for guests with special dietary requirements. They keep a stock of fine wines and beverages that you may purchase from the villa.
About their StaffThey have an Office Manager Perera, a House Manager Dinesh, the Chef Wasana & 2 Sous Chefs, a Kitchen boy, 5 Houseboys, 2 Security Guards and 3 Gardeners.
Rejuvenate at Maya
- Enliven your senses with a morning yoga class.
- Take it slow with grounding tai-chi sessions.
- Breathe deeply… soothing Pranayama and meditation.
- Bespoke well-being retreats (on request)
BeachesSwim in the crystal clear waters of the Indian Ocean. With picture perfect beaches just 15 mins away, the possibilities are endless. Go surfing, take an evening stroll, watch the sun go down and sink into the views. Endless shores of pristine white sand, unspoilt scenery and empty beaches - some of the best of the southern coast. Kick back, relax and enjoy beach life.
Wildlife and Whales
Spot Blue Whales, Sperm Whales and Spinner Dolphins in Dondra, on the southern coast. During the season from December to April, whale and dolphin watching excursions are possible from Mirissa only 40 mins from Maya.
Photographers and keen snappers will delight in the colourful display of birds in their natural habitat. Or borrow our bird guidebook and binoculars to catch a glimpse of some of the 250 different native birds.
For a spot of shopping, sightseeing, dining, head to the lively town of Tangalle on the southern coast.
Amba’s spacious suite in the new wing is an embodiment of modern luxe.
Next to Amber, Ehela’s spacious suite is quintessentially modern.
Ideal if you are coming to spend your holiday at Maya with your family.
Enjoy the privacy of your own garden and covered courtyard.
Thekka and Khumbuk are perfect rooms if you are coming to Maya with your family.
- Rates mentioned are per room per night based on 2 people sharing, unless otherwise stated.
- Rates mentioned are in US Dollars (USD).
- Rates mentioned include a full Breakfast and Afternoon tea.
- Rates mentioned exclude 10% service charge and 15% VAT.
- Rates mentioned are indicative rates and are subject to change without prior notice.
- This hotel is on request.
- Driver accommodation and meals are offered at no extra charge at Maya.
- There is no minimum stay except from 20th December to 5th January bookings made must be for a minimum stay of 3 nights.
- They prepare a daily 3 course set menu for lunch and dinner with several options.
- The chef will purchase the freshest ingredients on a daily basis.
- They can prepare menus for guests with special dietary requirements.
- They keep a stock of fine wines and beverages that you may purchase from the villa.
- Early arrivals and late departures can be easily arranged if there are no current bookings.
Extra Person Policy
- Rates can be requested per full villa per night based on 10 people sharing.
- Chilldren are very welcome at the Maya Villa.
- A baby 0-2 years will have a cot for free.
- Children from 2 to 12 years will have an extra bed for free.
- Children 13 years and older will have an extra bed for USD 50 per night, excluding tax & service charges.
To guarantee the booking a non-refundable deposit of 50% is required.
- The balance of 50% is to be paid at Maya upon arrival.
- To guarantee the booking made 1 month prior to arrival date a 100% deposit is required.
- Guests may also pay by valid creditcard - Visa and Mastercard only.
- If you cancel up to 28 days prior to arrival date they will refund you 50% of the deposited amount.
- If you cancel between 28 - 7 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 70% of the total booked amount.
- If you cancel within 7 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 100% of the total booked amount.
- A no show or early departure is a 100% penalty charge.