A Halcyon Paradise..Nkwichi, a halcyon paradise hidden on the pristine Mozambican shores of Lake Malawi. This is more than a lodge, Nkwichi is a complete experience offering a unique taste of Africa with exquisite lakeside scenery and unparalleled tranquillity. With 8 secluded beaches set on 4 km of Rift Valley coastline, Nkwichi is the perfect setting to discover a lost world, a fresh-water oasis and an Africa untouched.
With its unique, all-embracing approach to tourism over the last 15 years, Nkwichi is intrinsically linked to the surrounding communities and their natural environment. Dedicated to conserving the pristine lakeshore and virgin wilderness in which it operates, Nkwichi engages with the local Nyanja people in their development and helps preserve and enhance their colourful culture.
About the ChaletsThe bathrooms of Nkwichi Lodge are a highlight and hand crafted around the surrounding nature.
- Showers emerging from overhanging tree branches.
- Deep baths, built for two built deep sculpted from the surrounding rocks.
- Nkwazi, Niassa and Kuya Chalets and Makolo House have en-suite toilets.
- Other chalets have a separate building and few paces away from the chalet.
- Water is pumped from lake and is filtered before drinking.
- The whole lodge is powered by a state of the art solar power system.
- All the chalets and main public areas have solar electric lights.
- Wind-up torches are provided to each guest to aid moving around at night.
Lake MalawiNkwichi Lodge is located in the north-western corner of Mozambique, on the eastern side of Lake Malawi (or Lake Niassa as it is called on this side). Close to the islands of Likoma and Chizumulu (belonging to Malawi), 15 km south of a small town named Cobué on the main land Mozambique is a small triangular point, known as Mala Point. The concession for Nkwichi Lodge stretches south from this point (485 m above sea level).
How to get there
- Small charter plane from Lilongwe to Likoma island where Nkwichi’s boat will be waiting for you.. Experience a Fish Eagle’s eye view of the lake. Transfers take 50 mins and depart every day.
- 4×4 transfer (or self-drive) from Lichinga to Cobue where Nkwichi’s boat will be waiting on the lake shore. The drive, which takes 4 hours, is one of Africa’s most scenic drives, taking in the Rift Valley escarpment and the coastline of the lake.
Many things to do..
In the water
- Paddle and play in pristine fresh-water.
- Snorkel safari through a world of brilliantly-coloured tropical fish.
- Canoe along the magical Rift Valley shoreline.
- Watch the world go by in a sunset dhow cruise.
- Savour fishing trips in a traditional dug-out.
Under the StarsThe magic of the Lake of Stars. As the sun slips gently across the water, highlighting the distant mountains of Malawi, a thick band of orange gives way to blue. The first flickering of an African night sky heralds a gallery of cascading shooting stars. Fireflies glitter in the trees, the fire crackles by your feet and sense of timelessness drifts through your mind.
- The Lake of Stars as never before from Nkwichi’s unique star bed.
- Sun-downers with the first flickering of twilight.
- Romantic dinners on secluded beaches.
- Night cruises under a canopy of starlight.
- Uncovering the universe’s secrets through the lens of a telescope.
A little CultureFollow in the steps of our local guides and catch a rare glimpse into the customs and culture of the Nyanja tribe, the ever-friendly ‘People of the Lake’ and the real stars of Lake Malawi. Explore traditional village life and experience cultural events, such as the Manda Wilderness dug-out canoe races and Gospel Choir Festivals which help bring the community, and its visitors, together.
- Experience the warm welcome of village life.
- Encounter traditional dances beneath towering mango trees.
- Feel the melodies and rhythm of African choirs at sunset.
- Marvel at the work of the area’s exceptional carvers, weavers and potters.
On the LandExplore the hidden wonders of the ancient Rift Valley landscape, from panoramic vistas to idyllic waterfalls and soaring Baobab trees. Through the eyes of one of Nkwichi’s qualified, local guides, discover one of Africa’s last unspoiled pieces of paradise.
- Hike along the rugged coastline of one of Africa’s oldest paths.
- Picnic under a 2000-year-old Baobab.
- Track game through pristine woodland.
- Visit villages in timeless surroundings.
- Get a fish eagle’s eye-view of the lake from spectacular viewpoints.
Scotlandi is the most secluded chalet with a toilet in a seperate hut.
Kuya is great for families with younger children by adding extra beds.
Niassa is perfect for couples and by adding beds a comfortable family chalet.
Kakoa the intimate chalet with its own dining area, bathroom under the stars and cave.
Lake of Stars bed
Nkwichi's star bed is the best way to enjoy the Lake of Stars.
Your private gem that offers the ultimate private retreat overlooking the lake.
Nkwazi's setting is truly magical surrounded by the lake on two sides.
Songea the ultimate lakeside wilderness retreat complete with a secluded beach.
- Rates mentioned are per person per night based on 2 people sharing, unless otherwise stated.
- Rates mentioned are in US Dollars (USD).
- Rates mentioned include full board accommodation.
- Rates mentioned exclude drinks.
- Rates mentioned include Government taxes.
- Rates mentioned include all meals ( including tea & coffee), Laundry, Non-motorised activities and USD 5 community bed-night levy.
- Rates mentioned exclude Motorised boat activities, Items of a personal nature, Gratuities, Insurance, Flying Doctors service and Medical Evacuation.
- Rates mentioned are indicative rates and are subject to change without prior notice.
- This lodge is on request.
Extra Rate InformationFor standard chalets
- Single occupancy USD 395
- 3rd Adult sharing USD165
- Children under 12 years USD 165
- Single occupancy USD 450
- 3rd Adult sharing USD 175
- Children under 12 years USD 175
- To guarantee the booking a non-refundable deposit of 20% is required.
- Balance of payment is required 35 days prior to date of arrival.
- No creditcards accepted.
- Euros, UK pound, Mozambique Meticais, Malawi Kwacha, Bank transfers or guaranteed cheque payment only.
- Bar bills and any other extras to be settled by guests in cash at end of stay.
- If you cancel from time of booking to 30 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 20% of the total booked amount.
- If you cancel within 30 days prior to arrival date, they will charge a cancellation fee of 100% of the total booked amount.
No reviews yet. Be the first to review this hotel by clicking on the "Write Review" button above.